tyla homepage
tyla homepage
  • News
    • Politics
    • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
  • Life
    • Animals
    • Food & Drink
    • Women's Health
    • Mental Health
    • Sex & Relationships
    • Travel
    • Real Life
  • TV & Film
    • True Crime
    • Tyla Recommends
  • Astrology
  • Beauty
    • Hair
    • Make-up
    • Skincare
  • Style
    • Home
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
Submit Your Content
Experts issue pandemic warning after Ebola outbreak emergency and hantavirus spread
Home>News
Published 12:49 19 May 2026 GMT+1

Experts issue pandemic warning after Ebola outbreak emergency and hantavirus spread

The Global Preparedness Monitoring Board has issued a stark warning amid the ongoing infectious disease outbreaks

Madison Burgess

Madison Burgess

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Badru Katumba / AFP via Getty Images

Topics: Health, News, World News, UK News

Madison Burgess
Madison Burgess

Madison is a Journalist at Tyla with a keen interest in lifestyle, entertainment and culture. She graduated from the University of Sheffield with a first-class degree in Journalism Studies, and has previously written for DMG Media as a Showbiz Reporter and Audience Writer.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Experts are warning that the world is becoming less resilient to outbreaks of infectious diseases after the recent hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks.

A new report by the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board, called A World on the Edge: Priorities for a Pandemic‑Resilient Future, has found that worryingly, as infectious disease outbreaks become more frequent, they are also becoming more damaging.

The report outlines that there are ‘widening health, economic, political and social impacts, and less capacity to recover from them’.

It comes after an outbreak of hantavirus on the MV Hondius cruise ship dominated the headlines this month, with the number of those affected reaching 11 cases, nine of which have been confirmed.

Advert

Three passengers have died, including a Dutch couple who health officials believe were the first exposed to the virus while visiting South America.

However, the World Health Organisation has reassured that the risk to the public is very low.

A worrying new report has highlighted that infectious disease outbreaks are becoming more damaging (Getty Stock Image)
A worrying new report has highlighted that infectious disease outbreaks are becoming more damaging (Getty Stock Image)

At the same time, health authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda are currently trying to contain an outbreak of Ebola involving more than 100 deaths.

WHO declared the Ebola disease outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday (17 May).

As reported by The Guardian, the Director General of WHO, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said there had been at least 500 suspected cases of Ebola and 130 suspected deaths in DRC since the new outbreak began.

Health authorities have confirmed that the current outbreak, is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, which is a rare variant of the Ebola disease that has no approved therapeutics or vaccines.

On Tuesday (19 May), Tedros said, “This is the first time a director general has declared a PHEIC before convening an emergency committee. I did not do this lightly … I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”

The new GPMB report warns that ‘a decade of investment has not kept pace with rising pandemic risk’.

The board says that while new initiatives have improved aspects of preparedness, overall these efforts are ‘being offset by the growing effects of rising geopolitical fragmentation, ecological disruption, and global travel, especially as development assistance falls to levels not seen since 2009’.

It comes after the hantavirus outbreak on MV Hondius (Omar Havana/Getty Images)
It comes after the hantavirus outbreak on MV Hondius (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

Shockingly, the report says that on some key measures, such as equitable access to diagnostics, vaccines, and therapeutics, the world is ‘moving backwards’.

The board has advised political leaders of three measures they can take to reverse these trends

  • Establish a permanent, independent monitoring mechanism to track pandemic risk
  • Advance equitable access to life-saving vaccines, tests and treatments by concluding the Pandemic Agreement
  • Secure robust financing for both preparedness & ‘Day Zero’ response activities

GPMB Co-Chair, H.E. Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic said: “The world does not lack solution. But without trust and equity, those solutions will not reach the people who need them most.

“Political leaders, industry and civil society can still change the trajectory of global preparedness - if they turn their commitments into measurable progress before the next crisis strikes.”

  • World Health Organisation director issues warning over deadly hantavirus outbreak
  • Key date that will determine if hantavirus outbreak is spreading
  • Officials share next steps for hantavirus outbreak as cases rise
  • Symptoms of hantavirus as two Brits head home to self-isolate following outbreak on cruise

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
5 hours ago
22 hours ago
23 hours ago
  • Instagram/@yolanda.hadid
    2 hours ago

    Cases of ‘silent’ disease common among A-listers are surging in UK

    Justin Timberlake, Shania Twain, Bella Hadid, and Justin Bieber are just some of the celebrities who've opened up on their diagnosis

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Vanessa Trump shares devastating breast cancer diagnosis - here are the 8 symptoms to look out for

    Donald Trump Jr's ex-wife, Vanessa Trump, thanked doctors for their support after revealing she underwent a procedure 'earlier this week'

    News
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    22 hours ago

    British radio station issues apology after wrongly announcing King Charles III's death

    The Station Manager of Radio Caroline, Peter Moore, took to Facebook to issue a statement following the major blunder

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    23 hours ago

    Father pays devastating tribute to three daughters who all died in Brighton beach incident

    The identities of the three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been released

    News