Earlier this afternoon (4 April), the Metropolitan Police announced that Russell Brand has been charged with a number of sexual offences.
Detectives began investigating the comedian in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations, which followed reporting by Channel 4's Dispatches and The Sunday Times.
While the 49-year-old waits before appearing in court in a few weeks' time, here's everything we know so far about the multiple charges against him.
Russell Brand has been charged with multiple offences (Jeff Spicer / Stringer / Getty Images) Who is Russell Brand?
Brand, born in Essex, first rose to fame in 2004 after hosting the Channel 4 chat show, Big Brother's Big Mouth.
In 2008, Brand became embroiled in one of the biggest scandals in the BBC's history.
On his radio show, Brand and fellow chat show host Jonathan Ross broadcasted the recording of a series of lewd phone messages for then-78-year-old actor Andrew Sachs.
The recording infamously included Ross saying 'he f*cked your granddaughter', a reference to Sachs' granddaughter Georgina Baillie, whom Russell had dated.
The comments were broadcast on the pre-recorded show which later generated a high number of complaints, leading to Brand resigning from the BBC, while Ross was suspended without pay.
The BBC was later fined £150,000 by Britain's broadcast regulator for airing the calls with the BBC Trust later saying that the phone calls were a 'deplorable intrusion with no editorial justification'.
Despite this, Brand went on to star in a number of Hollywood films, including Bedtime Stories (2008) alongside Adam Sandler, Get Him to the Greek (2010) with Jonah Hill and Death on the Nile (2022) with Gal Gadot.
In 2010, he married American pop star Katy Perry, but their marriage came to an just two years later in 2012.
Speaking to Vogue in 2013, Perry described Brand's behaviour as 'very controlling' and talked about what she called the 'real truth' about him that she would not disclose.
"I felt a lot of responsibility for it ending, but then I found out the real truth, which I can't necessarily disclose because I keep it locked in my safe for a rainy day," she said.
In 2017, Brand tied the knot with illustrator Laura Gallacher, to whom he is still married.
Katy Perry and Brand were married between 2010 to 2012 (Michael Buckner / Staff / Getty Images) What are the charges?
Brand has been charged for one count each of rape, indecent assault and oral rape as well as two counts of sexual assault.
What are the allegations?
Four separate women have alleged that Brand sexually assaulted them.
According to the Met, it is alleged that; in 1999 a woman was raped in the Bournemouth area, in 2001 a woman was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area of London, in 2004 a woman was orally raped and sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London and between 2004 and 2005, a woman was sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy from the Metropolitan Police, who is leading the investigation, said in a statement: "The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
"The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police. A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at [email protected].
"Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line."
Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court early next month (2 May) (Jeff Spicer/Getty Images) What has Brand said?
Brand has since taken to X to share a statement. Take a look:
In the video captioned 'my response', he began: "Hello. Firstly, thank you for these incredible and overwhelming messages of support.
"We're very fortunate in a way, to live in a time where there's so little trust in the British government. We're very fortunate, I suppose, that this is happening at a time where we know that the law has become a kind of weapon to be used against people, institutions and sometimes entire nations, but will not accept and tolerate levels of corruption that are unprecedented.
"I'm speaking particularly to those of you that are watching this in the UK. How do you feel about your legal system right now? How do you feel about some of the high profile cases that are not being pursued and prosecuted? How do you feel that the Southport murders were handled. How do you feel about the government of Keir Starmer?
"Now, that's just sort of general context me. I've always told you guys that when I was young and single, before I had my wife and family were just about a shot over there, my beautiful children, I was a fool man.
"I was a fool before I lived in the light of the Lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was a rapist. I've never engaged in non-consensual activity. I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes. I want to thank all of you for your continuing support.
"I want to let you know that our show will be on Rumble on Monday. Thanks for your support there. And of course, I'm now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court, and I'm incredibly grateful for that.
"In the meantime, you lot stay free, and we will be continuing to discuss this matter. Praise the Lord."
What happens next?
In their statement, the Metropolitan Police confirmed that Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court early next month (2 May).
What has Brand previously said?
Brand, who is also a conspiracy theorist who spouts his theories to his millions of followers online, including 6.8 million subscribers on YouTube alone, previously posted a video preemptively denying the accusations against him in September of 2023 following the release of Channel 4's Russell Brand: In Plain Sight.
While accusing the media of planning a coordinated attack against him in his YouTube denial, he said: "Amidst this litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks are some very serious allegations that I absolutely refute.
"Now, during that time of promiscuity, the relationships I had were absolutely always consensual. I was always transparent about that then, almost too transparent, and I'm being transparent about it now as well."
If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, contact the Rape Crisis England and Wales helpline on 0808 500 222, available 24/7. If you are currently in danger or need urgent medical attention, you should call 999.